Application Deadline: 2nd November 2021 at 12:00 (GMT)
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible African Countries: Developing countries
To be taken at (country): UK Universities
Eligible Fields of Study: Chevening Scholarships are awarded across a wide range of fields; including politics, government, business, the media, the environment, civil society, religion, and academia in any UK University
About Chevening Scholarships: Applications for fully funded Chevening Scholarships to study for one-year master’s degrees at UK universities are now open.
Chevening enables outstanding emerging leaders from all over the world to pursue one-year master’s degrees in the UK.
There is no such thing as a ‘typical’ Chevening Scholar, but those who are successful tend to have ambition, leadership qualities, and a strong academic background.
We encourage you to apply if you meet our eligibility criteria and other requirements. Your gender, age (there is no upper age limit), sexual orientation, religion, marriage or parenthood status, caste, class, or other attributes do not matter to us. What matters is your ability to submit a strong application that demonstrates you are capable of excelling on an intense master’s course in the UK, and that you have a clear vision for your future – and maybe even that of your sector or your country.
Chevening Scholarships are awarded to individuals with strong academic backgrounds who also have demonstrable leadership potential. The scholarship offers financial support to study for a Master’s degree at any of the UK’s leading universities and the opportunity to become part of an influential global network of 44,000 alumni. There are approximately 1,500 Chevening Scholarships on offer globally for the2018/2019 academic cycle. These scholarships represent a significant investment from the UK government to develop the next cohort of global leaders.
Prior to starting your application for a Chevening Scholarship please ensure you have the following ready:
- Essential: Three different UK master’s course choices
- Optional: English language test results (if you’ve already met the requirements)
- Optional: UK master’s university offer (if you’ve already met the requirements)
Scholarship Offered Since: 1983
Eligibility: To be eligible for a Chevening Scholarship you must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended
- Have an undergraduate degree that will enable you to gain entry onto a postgraduate programme at a UK university. This is typically equivalent to an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK.
- Have at least two years’ work experience (this may be up to five years for fellowship programmes, so please refer to your country page for further details)
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an unconditional offer from one of these choices by 15 July 2021.
Number of Scholarship: 1,500
Value of Scholarship: A full Chevening Scholarship award normally comprises:
- payment of tuition fees;
- travel to and from your country of residence by an approved route for you only;
- an arrival allowance;
- a grant for the cost of preparation of a thesis or dissertation (if required);
- an excess baggage allowance;
- the cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for you only;
- a monthly personal living allowance (stipend) to cover accommodation and living expenses. The monthly stipend will depend on whether you are studying inside or outside London. It is currently £917 per month outside London and £1134 per month inside London (subject to annual review).
Duration of Scholarship: One year
How can I Apply?
- All Chevening applicants must submit their education documents, references, and one unconditional UK university offer. The deadlines for these required documents are in the Chevening application timeline. Use the ‘update my application’ button above to upload them.
- If you are conditionally selected for a Chevening Scholarship, it is essential that you submit these documents in order to remain in the process.
It is important to go through the application instructions on the scholarship webpage before applying.
Sponsors: Chevening Scholarships are funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), with further contributions from universities and other partners in the UK and overseas, including governmental and private sector bodies.
Important Notes: The process of selecting Chevening Scholars takes a minimum of eight months from the application deadline to when scholars are conditionally selected for an award.
FAQ on the CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIPS
How can I learn step by step process for applying for Chevening Scholarships? We have an educative video above that you can watch in your spare time to apply successfully. Goodluck.
Will the UK COVID-19 Guidelines make my application difficult? Definitely not. Chevening Scholarships welcome students even from COVID-19 blacklisted countries. All scholars entering the UK from a blacklisted country will have the option to book the quarantine package through Diversity Travel after you have booked your incoming flight. Chevening will pay for quarantine packages booked through Diversity Travel.
Can I stay back in the UK at the end of my course? No, Chevening Scholars cannot stay back or apply for a Graduate route visa. When you accept a Chevening Award, you agree to return home for two years at the end of your scholarship.